Events Shop Audio / Video USL Home Nike Facebook Twitter UNation USL Home Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Nike Nike Nike Nike RSS RSS RSS News Stats Scoreboard
Kickers Defeat Hammerheads
Vercollone, Seaton score second-half goals in 2-0 win

Friday, May 3, 2013

WILMINGTON, N.C. – The Richmond Kickers scored a pair of second-half goals as they took a 2-0 victory against the Wilmington Hammerheads on Friday night at a windy Legion Stadium. Luke Vercollone converted a penalty kick before D.C. United loanee Michael Seaton scored on his professional debut to put the game away late on for the Kickers, who took their third consecutive victory.

The Hammerheads held good possession at the beginning of the match as midfielder Will Heaney attempted a header in the 11th minute. The Kickers retaliated with good possession throughout the length of the field, and created their first real opportunity in the 31st minute as Seaton picked up a shot attempt in the box, only to be called offside before he could finish. Seaton soon saw another chance come his way after with a run toward Hammerheads goalkeeper Philip Tuttle, who was able to make the save.

Wilmington tried to find the opening goal late in the half, with midfielder Arron Patrick twice having shots from just outside the penalty area blocked by the Kickers' defense, leaving the teams scoreless at the halftime break.

The Hammerheads opened the second half well, and Parratt fired a shot on goal in the opening minute of the half that was saved by Dykstra. Richmond was able to settle into its rhythm again after the early pressure, however, and Kickers midfielder Nate Robinson took a hard shot on goal nearing the 60th minute that soared over the crossbar from a free kick. The Kickers follow that with an attempt from Joseph Ngwenya that deflected off Hammerheads defender Jamel Wallace.

The night turned sour for Wallace just minutes later when he was called for a handball in the penalty area, giving Vercollone the chance to give his side the lead from the penalty spot. The Kickers veteran shot high into the net, giving Tuttle little chance, as Richmond took a 1-0 lead with 16 minutes to play.

The Hammerheads pushed for an equalizer, and defender Uriah Bentick maintained had a long shot in the 85th minute that forced Dykstra to dive to his left and save, regaining control before Wilmington could follow up the opportunity. Bentick had another opportunity in the 88th minute off a corner from Heaney, only for his header to go over the crossbar.

Richmond was able to find an insurance goal in stoppage time, however, as Seaton was able to outpace the Hammerheads' defense on a counter-attack from a corner before cooly shooting into the right corner of the net.

© Copyright 2013 United Soccer Leagues. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 2013 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.
Youth Sports WebWriter Websites, Online Registration Management, Tournament and League Scheduling Systems