Events Shop Audio / Video USL Home Nike Facebook Twitter UNation USL Home Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Facebook Twitter UNation Nike Nike Nike Nike RSS RSS RSS News Stats Scoreboard
City Islanders Rally Past Riverhounds
Goals by Touray, Mkosana earn 2-1 win at sold out Highmark

Saturday, April 13, 2013

PITTSBURGH -- In the inaugural game at Highmark Stadium in front of a sellout crowd, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds' Jose Angulo recorded the first ever goal in the 68th minute, but Harrisburg City Islanders' Sainey Touray and Lucky Mkosana spoiled his efforts. Two late second-half goals lifted the Islanders to a 2-1 victory against the Riverhounds in the first leg of the Keystone Derby on Saturday night.

The match opened with a frantic pace and physical challenges, seeing Harrisburg’s Andrew Welker leave the game in the ninth minute with a knee injury. Without Welker, the visiting side earned the game’s first quality scoring chance four minutes later, but Riverhounds goalkeeper Hunter Gilstrap was up for the challenge to deny Tom Mellor an early goal.

The Riverhounds emotions began to settle down in the 25th minute and they started to apply pressure on the City Islanders' back line. Their best chance came off an pass into forward Mike Seth, who freed Rich Costanzo down the left flank. Seth C’deBaca overlapped Costanzo and drove a left-footed shot to the back post for an on-rushing Ryan Kinne. The Islanders defense recovered quickly to head the ball over the goal line for a corner to deny Kinne. The ensuing corner kick was collected by City Islanders goalkeeper Nick Noble to thwart the Riverhounds.

Following the intermission, the Riverhounds continued to attack with numbers. Entering the game in the 68th minute, Matt Dallman hooked up with Angulo just seconds after stepping on the field. Both Dallman and Angulo’s first touches were brilliant, leading to a seeing-eye header by Angulo. Dallman crossed the ball deep inside the right corner towards the penalty spot. Rising above his marker, Angulo’s header found the top left corner to provide the Riverhounds with the lead.

Ten minutes later, a long through ball for Tourey provided the visiting side with the equalizer. Out-pacing his marker, Tourey poked the ball between Gilstrap’s legs and into the back of the net. In the closing minutes, the City Islanders took advantage of poor clearance by the Riverhounds defense. Picking the ball up just outside the penalty area, Christhian Hernandez delivered a left-footed cross for Mkosana standing alone at the penalty spot. Connecting cleanly on the full-volley with his left foot, Mkosana’s shot tucked just inside the left upright to put the visiting side up 2-1.

With seconds remaining in regulation, C’deBaca drove a cross from right-to-left for Kinne at the back post. Taking a touch past his marker, Kinne struck a left-footed shot that trickled across the goal line that rolled just wide of the right post, leaving the Riverhounds unable to come away with a dramatic equalizer.

The Riverhounds return to action next Saturday night when they travel to Dayton to meet the Dutch Lions at 7:30 p.m. ET. The City Islanders remain on the road next Saturday when they square off with the Colorado Rapids Reserves at 9 p.m. ET.

© Copyright 2013 United Soccer Leagues. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 2013 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.
Youth Sports WebWriter Websites, Online Registration Management, Tournament and League Scheduling Systems