Events Shop Audio / Video USL Home USL Home Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog RSS RSS RSS News Stats Scoreboard
Share | |
Monarchs Edge Harrisburg 3-2

Real Maryland Monarchs News Release -

Thursday, May 13, 2010

ROCKVILLE, MD -- In the first of two matches this week at home, Real Maryland FC beat the Harrisburg City Islanders 3-2 in front of a loyal fan base. The win puts the Monarchs at 2-2-2 with eight points landing them in second place going into the weekend. The loss puts Harrisburg at 0-4-1 and trying to get out of the cellar early in the season.

Goal and assist for DarvillTo be expected, the City Islanders came out flying with a ferocious attack that gave them chances early on. In the 15th minute, Harrisburg was awarded a free kick just outside of the Monarch penalty box, but the attempt sailed over the bar. Just two minutes later, David Schofield found the ball in dangerous Monarch territory and hit a shot towards the corner of the goal. Not having enough mustard on the shot, Real Maryland’s keeper, Brian Levey, ate up the attempt.

After a barrage of an attack on Real Maryland FC, the Monarchs fought back to get into the rhythm of the game. In the 19th minute, Ben Hunter nailed a tight angle shot, but was denied as goalkeeper Danny Cepero tipped the ball away and then was cleared by the defense.

The first tally put on the scoreboard came in the 22nd minute when Nicki Paterson played a ball diagonally over the top of the Harrisburg defense to an onrushing Jamie Darvill. Darvill then headed the ball to himself where he put the ball into the far left side of the net.

Not to be put to bed early, Harrisburg came back just seven minutes later when Sheanon Williams snuck in centrally and hit a tight angled cross up and under the crossbar, tying the game 1-1. The goal was assisted by JT Noone.

The Monarchs as a whole picked up their game again and in the 39th minute were rewarded by a goal from Jyler Noviello with the assist coming from Darvill. The play started with the keeper out to defend against Darvill and the ball bounced centrally where Noviello calmly volleyed the ball into the back of the net.

The scoring went into a lull until the 57th minute when Harrisburg was given another opportunity with a free kick on the edge of the Monarchs box. Not to be denied again, Jason Hotchkin bent the ball around the wall out of the reach of the keeper and into the back of the net, tying the game at 2-2.

In the 65th and 66th minute, Harrisburg was awarded free kicks around the Monarchs penalty box again, but were unable to capitalize on the opportunities.

In what was to be the game-winner in the 81st minute, substitute Alan Sanchez drilled a shot off the bottom of the crossbar which bounced into the goal. He was assisted by Paterson, who seemed to be in most of the night’s offensive action.

The Monarchs broke the drought at home by doubling their goals on the season. Additionally, this was the first home victory for the Monarchs in the young season.

Real Maryland FC will play next this Sunday, May 16th vs. the Richmond Kickers at Richard Montgomery High School at 6:30 pm.

Copyright 2010 United Soccer Leagues. All rights reserved.
Copyright 2010 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.